One of the questions that I am frequently asked when a client is seeking a solution for their commercial roofing is the choice of materials for the project. Typically, if a roof is flat an EPDM or rubber roofing material is the solution. EPDM is a very durable synthetic roofing membrane that is a popular choice in the New England for low-slope roofs. EPDM is available in black and white. “It may be installed either fully adhered or mechanically attached or ballasted” (EPDM Roofing Association). But with the development of newer roofing materials, this solution is sometimes questioned. Here are several benefits to consider when weighing the benefits of using EPDM for your next commercial roofing project in Massachusetts.
- EPDM (Rubber) Commercial Roofing is one of the more cost-efficient roofing products. Most established manufacturers guarantee their EPDM roofing material for up to 20 years. This warranty may be doubled to include workmanship if the installer and client can agree on regular maintenance and supplemental sealing. EPDM may also lower your costs for heating and cooling because of its’ durability and insulation qualities.
- EPDM is very flexible so that it may be applied to fit around extruding objects on the roof such as pipes, skylights, gutters and heating and cooling equipment. If correctly applied it will not crack from moisture or sun exposure. A single ply EPDM roofing membrane is more lightweight than a typical flat roofing material.
- EPDM will decrease heating and cooling costs, an especially important feature in New England with the higher energy costs of the region.
- EPDM is more durable than traditional rubber roofing. EPDM roofing membranes are breathable, allowing the building to breathe. This enables some high heat to escape without allowing moisture, heat or cold inside.
- EPDM is recyclable. This environmentally friendly feature is a nice option to traditional oil based roofing. Resale values of the property will improve with a quality EPDM roof.
In summary, EPDM roofing membranes are a superior roofing material that combines durability, is friendly to the environment, saves energy and are flexible enough to be effectively installed on a flat roof with numerous protrusions. If you are considering a replacement of a commercial roof in the future, EPDM roofing materials should be at the top of the list.